A CHOGM Special
This is my second visit to Uganda. Whoever said that "its never as good as the first time" or "been there done that" wasn't exaggerating.I keep comparing this visit to my first. However, the trip isn't too bad.....on second thoughts ...it could be a whole lot better.
Its 4.38 am ( or 1.38am GMT!) and I am in the office listening to Sheryl Crow (Every Day is a winding road - how apt) while trying to clear some work. Since the internet connection here is average , I cant watch YouTube videos so I figure i should blog now that my mind has switched off.
One thing I love about traveling is the bus ride. You miss so much when you fly. You miss the lush fields, the outdoors (read relieving yourself in the bush in groups :-) and your meant to do it in record time - don't this bus drivers know you cant rush nature!!).
Travelling across the country side gives me an opportunity to remind myself that there is a simple life outside the city. Where people get by with the basics and are truly happy . ( Can you see the smile on the Maasai boy's face in the photo?). During the bus ride, at around 6am, I saw a young girl with an empty "debe" going to fetch water,she stopped to stare at the bus filled with sleeping passengers, and I thought to myself, will that be her life until she dies?Is she aware of the world out here? Or are we the ones who have a raw deal, our lives filled with so much clutter...I wonder.
The moon was full during the trip. It reminded me of when we were travelling to my grand mum's burial. The moon was full too. I sometimes envy the way Asians live with their grand parents. I know they can be annoying MOST of the time, but there is a lot of wisdom they can pass on, then you dont have to feel you dont have roots....
Oh yeah , I was supposed to be writing about my trip, I guess I have to do that another time....I have to slog on.....

2 Comments:
Girl!stayin up til4in the mornin,wil result in strange thoughts like those!
Anyway,kidding aside,thats quite an interestin take on life.Im not too sure bout livin with grandparents:)but I think modern life is messed up with all its clutter.We are so caught up in the pursuit of things to make us have more time,to communicate better,but .... its a messed up world.
Thats my two cents ...
Nice pic - did you take it?
I thought I was reading a book passage ... you have a writer's skill, and one can feel the lazy slow life of the passing country side. Sitting at my busy and hectic desk, wish I could be like that girl with bucket of water on her head... life is routine and not us cluttered by unnecessary activities like ours is proving to be. True life is a mess, but sitting up in the wee hours of the morning like Athena here (sike!), makes us appreciate the little details in life that we miss to appreciate otherwise.
Post a Comment
<< Home