Irony
The following happened between the first set of interviews and the second set of interviews.
The software development team manager and another senior manager with whom i work closely with call me to a meeting one morning.
They tell me that they have been unsuccessful in getting a replacement for the DBA position and they are not hopeful.
So the senior manager asks me : "Please be honest with us, why dont you want to do database work?"
In my head , I am thinking "I wish I had some warning...i dont like being ambushed" Anyway, I reply that I have been doing this work since 2001 and that I feel that I would like to gain more skills in other areas.
He keeps quiet. The Software Development Manager agrees with me, he says that he would like me to join the other developers in the main stream programming.
The Senior Manager remains silent.
The Development Manager continues to explain that they are aware that I am not getting a salary comensurate to my work. So he poses the question, what do you feel you should be earning?
Pause. (This is where i feel ambushed.).I have documented that I am inept at answering that question. I honestly didnt know what to say.However I quote a figure thats 60% more than what I earn and I keep a straight face.
I think the Manager was shocked but he absorbed it . (Those micro-second expressions that flash across your face - seen frequently at card games)
He continued to say increasing the salary of an employee when it is not salary review time is quite a process which they will start immediately they leave the conference room.
I hoped that this process would begin and end before January so that I could get this raise before I leave (if I do).
He asked me how do i feel about it?
I replied that as long as in the long run the situation will change - I will not remain as the DBA , I will hold the fort.
Well,it turns out the increment hasnt happened.
I got my pay slip yesterday and it infuriated me. It reminded me of the work I have been doing and this is all I get??
Well, its ironic they decide to take this action when more than ever I am intent on leaving.
The software development team manager and another senior manager with whom i work closely with call me to a meeting one morning.
They tell me that they have been unsuccessful in getting a replacement for the DBA position and they are not hopeful.
So the senior manager asks me : "Please be honest with us, why dont you want to do database work?"
In my head , I am thinking "I wish I had some warning...i dont like being ambushed" Anyway, I reply that I have been doing this work since 2001 and that I feel that I would like to gain more skills in other areas.
He keeps quiet. The Software Development Manager agrees with me, he says that he would like me to join the other developers in the main stream programming.
The Senior Manager remains silent.
The Development Manager continues to explain that they are aware that I am not getting a salary comensurate to my work. So he poses the question, what do you feel you should be earning?
Pause. (This is where i feel ambushed.).I have documented that I am inept at answering that question. I honestly didnt know what to say.However I quote a figure thats 60% more than what I earn and I keep a straight face.
I think the Manager was shocked but he absorbed it . (Those micro-second expressions that flash across your face - seen frequently at card games)
He continued to say increasing the salary of an employee when it is not salary review time is quite a process which they will start immediately they leave the conference room.
I hoped that this process would begin and end before January so that I could get this raise before I leave (if I do).
He asked me how do i feel about it?
I replied that as long as in the long run the situation will change - I will not remain as the DBA , I will hold the fort.
Well,it turns out the increment hasnt happened.
I got my pay slip yesterday and it infuriated me. It reminded me of the work I have been doing and this is all I get??
Well, its ironic they decide to take this action when more than ever I am intent on leaving.

1 Comments:
Philosopha is still on the salary he was at when he joined, fully 9 months ago. The new guy is already earning more that him. Injustice in my opinion. Why even confirm someone if you don't think he's worth paying.
I'm certain they'll up your salary. They have to. Don't they?
Post a Comment
<< Home