Thursday, February 09, 2006

More Irony

IRONY: Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs .
January 31st. The day before i hand in my resignation letter, the unexpected happens.

My manager comes and asks that I have a chat with him.
In the meeting he tells me that they have decided that
they would like to form a department around me, hire
like 2 people that will be working under me. And yes
they have agreed to top up my salary to the lower range
of what I asked for.
Anyway , he seems happy and then he asks me "Are you
happy?"
I ignore the question (or did i say yes) and tell him
that there is a matter that I wanted to speak to him
about tomorrow (February 1st) but since we are already
here I might as well tell him what is on my mind.

I told him I have been thinking of leaving.I have started
a startup with some former classmates (this wasnt the
speech I had in mind -but its the truth nonetheless) and
we have some projects that will require my full attention.
Yes, I had a plan B incase i didnt get a job immediately.
So he looks at me, he didnt look to shocked, but lets face
it,thats not the reaction he was expectiong.
I mean he had just promoted me!
Anyway,I tell him, my intention is not to burn bridges and
I would not mind training the next person.

The meeting ends on a somewhat amicable note and he rushes
out and calls an emergency meeting with other managers.

I went back to my seat wondering whether i had made a
mistake or not.

Dilemma:
======
If I get another job, I will seem to be a liar.
The start up idea has been there since mid-january.
One of my ex-class mates appoached me, told me
some of his ideas and they are good and I jumped
a board. So in addition to the reasons I have
written in previous posts, I got another one.
We have a good project that we are working on
but we have smaller projects on the side that will bring
bread to the table...so for atleast the next 6 or so months
we are set.





3 Comments:

Blogger Samborera said...

I was in shock when you told me you'd quit. I mean, you were moving on up, as evidenced by that meeting. Besides, you still had lots of stuff to learn I thought. I'm sure the rest of the office will be equally shocked, when they find out. My quitting was let out of the bag long before I sent the official farewell email.

Anyway. I doubt my shock compares to that of the manager[s]. If they weren't, that would show how [little] they value your contribution. At least I had your blog to warn me. [I wonder if the powers that be read our blogs] Come to think of it, the managers were in almost constant meetings for like 2 whole days. Is there even another person to train? Did they try to make you stay? Offer more pay? Ask why you were leaving?

I don't see your dilemma. If you were leaving anyway, the rest are details. People change jobs all the time, and sometimes without even telling their employer. There's a classmate of mine who just stopped showing up for work after getting another job.

Anyway. People don't miss the water until the well runs dry. Is that the saying goes? I know that I've brought something to this company. I know it and nobody can take that away from me. They've already got my replacement and I hope he does well. He sure has the energy.

Don't fret about whether you are making a mistake or not. That's what life is about. If we were born knowing everything and how everything will turn out, life would be a real bore. At least you had a plan B. I, on the other hand, just snapped. You'll be fine. I hope you get to achieve all that you desire.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Athena said...

I agree,I do have alot to learn but I wont learn it as long as their solution is to up my pay and leave me doing the same job.
Second,like I said before, having an 8-5 job has come to out weight very many things, it may not seem like a lot but hey ..thats me.
The Senior manager asked me why I am leaving, I told him the start up story and I told him, I am still young,if it fails,fine, I will get another job but at least I will be happy.
Right now things are not so tight,but a few months ago I was miserable, I dont want this calm to fool me, I am bailing and thats it.

I dont call what you did snapping, it was a culmination of many months of tolerance or is it long suffering and then you may have snapped at some point :).

Thanks by the way for the good wishes.
Remember the mail that was sent that said in part:
"There will be more changes in the coming two weeks as we get Samborera's replacement and other staff."
Other staff is my replacement.
He said things are in control,he feels 3 weeks is enough.

It is noteworthy the Manager later told me that the idea of a start up is a good one, well he should know, he has one and I suspect some senior members have their own.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Not many people will trade a higher salary in favour of the opportunity to learn. You are unique. For many people, money comes first. Other things are a plus. It's not a big deal for me. Afterall, what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul. Some people argue that that's how losers talk.

One of the reasons I finally handed in my resignation letter is this calm that you're talking about. You have a couple of not-so-bad days and then you forget why you wanted to leave. I got a start reminder in the first weeks of the year. I felt that I was treated rather badly and not appreciated at all for my efforts in resolving a myriad of priority issues. That's when I snapped, one day I did snap.

I've been avoiding the Senior Manager, for fear of having to answer that question. Especially because he must know that I'm not quitting because I have another job. I'd talked to my manager though sometime last year about quitting.

One day at a time.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home