Yoda was ahead of his time
I joined my employer on August 15th 2005. I was excited
to be finally out of school - no thats not the truth.
I was physically tired.Tired of watching 24's and not sleeping
for days on end, trying to finish my project (good times i must say).
Software systems tend to have three stages or are of three types,the
UNIX Philosophy says.
My project was definately a type "first system" with the following
charachteristics:
man builds the first system with his back to the wall
Where was I, yes that when i joined my employer, all i
wanted to do was rest. I met a manager and she told
me to join early because her department is overwhelmed
with some work.
I joined and I was miserable for the rest of the year.
While I was there , I had a chance to talk to my former workmate
yoda few times.
I didnt know what he was going through at the time, but now
I totally understand.
I dont consider myself a hacker, however i consider yoda to be
an exceptional one.
All hackers like yoda and samborera want/ed from a firm is the
chance to code and work on some exciting projects.
Money really isnt an issue, they are just happy to be somewhere
where they can be paid to do what they really love - coding.
When they start feeling, like they are not being productive,
unmotivated for any kind of reason e.g money, red-tape, bad tools
etc etc , what management should be asking themselves is how can
we keep these guys motivated? Its counter-productive not to.
I have been feeling un productive. I have said in previous posts
that I am not growing. I showed interest in being a "main" stream
programmer. They tried getting someone else but this failed.
They increased my salary too late. By then I had decided I was leaving.
I want to be productive. In all areas of my life.
I look at our senior programmers and managers. I dont want to be like
them. They stink of red-tape and comfort. They refuse to question but
accept. I want to be around people who always keep thinking and
never stop questioning; question the norms, farces, beliefs, ideologies etc.
I decided for the next few months I will concentrate on our startup.
We have a Project X and some small projects to bring in quick cash.
Just discussing the requirements gives me an adrenaline rush.
I want to get back to using Open source software.
I want to do something that can make a difference and get some money
for it.
Most people have great potential but they have been constrained by
the environment(Who makes/defines the Environment?).
People must learn to go against the grain.That is what I am choosing to
do.
I will quote yoda's post and say in conclusion:
The future is bright and as soon as I stop wasting my time fixing database
bugs and issues and move on to work that provides revenue to our company
that will increasingly accelerate towards that sweet inevitable success.
Alongside me will be the great people who have got me to where I am now.
to be finally out of school - no thats not the truth.
I was physically tired.Tired of watching 24's and not sleeping
for days on end, trying to finish my project (good times i must say).
Software systems tend to have three stages or are of three types,the
UNIX Philosophy says.
My project was definately a type "first system" with the following
charachteristics:
man builds the first system with his back to the wall
- no time to do it right
- built by a small number of people
- fuelled by excitement
- first system is a ‘‘lean, mean computing machine’’
Where was I, yes that when i joined my employer, all i
wanted to do was rest. I met a manager and she told
me to join early because her department is overwhelmed
with some work.
I joined and I was miserable for the rest of the year.
While I was there , I had a chance to talk to my former workmate
yoda few times.
I didnt know what he was going through at the time, but now
I totally understand.
I dont consider myself a hacker, however i consider yoda to be
an exceptional one.
All hackers like yoda and samborera want/ed from a firm is the
chance to code and work on some exciting projects.
Money really isnt an issue, they are just happy to be somewhere
where they can be paid to do what they really love - coding.
When they start feeling, like they are not being productive,
unmotivated for any kind of reason e.g money, red-tape, bad tools
etc etc , what management should be asking themselves is how can
we keep these guys motivated? Its counter-productive not to.
I have been feeling un productive. I have said in previous posts
that I am not growing. I showed interest in being a "main" stream
programmer. They tried getting someone else but this failed.
They increased my salary too late. By then I had decided I was leaving.
I want to be productive. In all areas of my life.
I look at our senior programmers and managers. I dont want to be like
them. They stink of red-tape and comfort. They refuse to question but
accept. I want to be around people who always keep thinking and
never stop questioning; question the norms, farces, beliefs, ideologies etc.
I decided for the next few months I will concentrate on our startup.
We have a Project X and some small projects to bring in quick cash.
Just discussing the requirements gives me an adrenaline rush.
I want to get back to using Open source software.
I want to do something that can make a difference and get some money
for it.
Most people have great potential but they have been constrained by
the environment(Who makes/defines the Environment?).
People must learn to go against the grain.That is what I am choosing to
do.
I will quote yoda's post and say in conclusion:
The future is bright and as soon as I stop wasting my time fixing database
bugs and issues and move on to work that provides revenue to our company
that will increasingly accelerate towards that sweet inevitable success.
Alongside me will be the great people who have got me to where I am now.

1 Comments:
I don't consider myself a hacker [great programmer] as such. I'm the first to acknowledge my inadequacies and perhaps don't work hard enough at improving. You are right however when you say some of us just want to write code. When I left campus, my elder siblings implored me to apply for jobs at banks and other big-paying institutions but I was hell-bent on being a programmer. I just like doing my thing, without having to traverse a mine field of procedures, policies and office politics.
I am amazed when I see the comfort zone in which a lot of people are in. How can you not desire to learn more? I am so embarassed at how little I know.
I'm somewhat at a crossroad. I feel like I'm experiencing a kind of adolescence, where I'm learning about myself and deciding what kind of person I want to become. Things are slightly fuzzy. Work, friendships, relationships, values. It's all up in the air. Hopefully, I'll get sorted soon and do what I'm here to do.
Post a Comment
<< Home