Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Interviews

Ok so finally I get to blog about how the first two i
went.

Well as I had mentioned, the first was at a company
that offers SMS based solutions to one of the
Mobile Network Providers (I hope thats accurate) in
our country.


Anyway,the interview went well, the interviewer
asked me about my work , what i do
(though my CV was infront of him) ,
asked about the skills they need (whether I had
them that is).
I am meant to go for a practical in about 2 weeks
time.
My feelings about it? Well i am/was excited about having
the chance to code in languages that I love and work in
areas that are fast moving and exciting (anything is exciting
if you think it is)however i was
wondering whether moving to a smaller company is wise.
They work on alot of exciting projects..but I am not sure.

I must mention the night before this interview
i slept late and woke up at 4 am to read

about SMS protocols and current trends and technologies
within the Mobile Industry (I know thats a loose term - excuse
me).In addition , I was reading up on the

company and how to answer commonly asked questions
during interviews.


So the next evening I was beat after a hectic day at work.
In addition,my body took a toll from the tension that had
built before the interview. (I have been to 2 interviews in
my life)

The 2nd interview was the next day at 9am.So I slept.
I knew nothing about

the company and its software products. All I had was this
speech i conjured in the PSV (Public Service Vehicle) to
convince them of my potential.
The offices are small and homely. The interviewer talked
about the company and what kind of person they are looking
for. Then the questions about my previous work and knowledge
began. Cool. Basically the job would be both technical and
what they call Pre-sales. Before a sale, demos and presentations
need to be done and other
technical people within companies
need to be convinced about a product.

In addition, one will undergo rigorous training in SA in
their products since they also support their patners and
clients within the region.
I was told if I get the job i need to get a car within
3 months!They move around alot! Woi! I have been putting off
the day I will start driving (hand eye coordination problems..)
anyway thats ok,if those old

short ladies can do it, so can I...he gave me some cd's to
tinker around with some of their products..
My feelings about it? Its taking DBA to the next level. (I Think)
Learning a new product and supporting it.I am excited about the
challenges and prospects.The prospects of being more all round
since its not only a techie job. I get the chance to learn and travel alot.

I recieved a letter inviting me to an interview at an NGO on the 18th.
It better be a wednesday....just confirmed, it is!Anyway, i have worn
formal clothes two days in a row and some of my workmates have been
bold enough to ask me whether i have been going for interviews.
yesterday (As with all wednesdays) I attend a meeting in the evening.
Today i used the same excuse (though I am meeting a couple of
former classmates to discuss a project one of them wants to propose to us)

Work has been a big bore, just as Samborera has been having trouble
coming to work so have I. I have so much donkey work, everyone dunping
urgent work that is needed that I have become so nonchalant.
I see my some of my fellow developers blissflully reading web stuff
(we are moving to web development) and I am being cramped by ......
we are given tutorials to read and exercises to do and I am behind
because of my work...If they expect me to work work work and read and
do the exercises it would be good to reduce my work load.. thats a dream..

I had a meeting with my managers (I have been working under 2 sometimes 3)
because i was on loan (in sports terms) to the other department for a while.
That wont reduce my load because tying the loose ends is proving difficult.
I still recieve work from 3 departments and its all urgent to all of them.
Anyway, enough whining,there is a silver lining in this cloud.

I feel better now, let me continue plodding.



1 Comments:

Blogger Samborera said...

Who knew blogging would be so therapeutic. It definitely is for me.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home